If you are currently battling increased stress and anxiety then you certainly aren’t alone, despite how it might feel. During the current pandemic, we have faced more social isolation and financial pressure than we have previously in our lifetime. The significant changes this has caused in our social, family, and community life has led many to feel overwhelmed and frightened. Added to this, the comparison culture of the online world has amplified collective feelings of not being ‘enough’ with a false perception of the apparent perfection of the lives of others.
You might be feeling as if you have run out of options to deal with the mental health challenges you are facing. Depression can deplete your energy, shrink your world, and it can feel as if there is no plausible solutions to manage these feelings.. The condition itself can be extremely lonely to live with. Thankfully, you don’t have to suffer in silence—there are a number of ways to find freedom from the pain you are feeling.
Seeking professional help from a psychiatrist or psychotherapist could transform your current reality in incredibly positive ways. A professional mental health expert can provide the framework and the tools you need to progress towards better mental health and improved wellbeing in both the short and long term future.
Here are 8 reasons to get the help you need and deserve, starting today:
1. Powerful acknowledgement. By recognizing what you are dealing with, you can begin to take conscious steps to tackling the situation. It might seem intimidating at first to directly face how you have been feeling. However, you will soon find a sense of relief from taking some initial steps forwards in making positive change within your life.
2. Structured reassurance. Depression can leave us feeling that daily tasks and activities are impossible. Having a therapy session organized for a specific time each week can offer reassurance that there is forward movement in your healing journey. Knowing you have someone waiting to help you will give you the stability you need to heal and strengthen your mind.
3. Personal empowerment. The fact you are reading this article already highlights your desire to overcome your current difficulties. Therefore, you have already taken a powerful step forwards—congratulations! You are already well on your way to achieving improved mental health for yourself. By asking for help, you are laying the foundations for better, brighter future. Not only that, but you are powerfully signaling to yourself that you are absolutely worthy of the right help and support.
4. Reframing your situation. Professional experts can provide the tools you need to alter your mindset for the better. Trauma and stress can cause us to form self-limiting beliefs that prevent us from enjoying our life and experiences. Mental health professionals can help us see positives we may not have previously recognized. They can also help us to change our view of our past to free us from it’s impact within our present reality.
5. Community connection. There are many mental health support groups that you can join to help you meet others who you will relate directly with. If you don’t feel ready to seek one-to-one therapy support quite yet then joining a community talking therapies group might be a good option to begin with. Knowing that others are experiencing similar battles can be incredibly encouraging. Ask your SMART Health & Wellness Provider about the Group Therapy Classes we offer.
6. Physical health. Your mental health significantly impacts our physical wellness. By seeking professional support to ease the symptoms of your mental health battles, your physical health will naturally improve as a result. Lowered blood pressure, improved gut health, lesser risk of skin complaints, and stronger immunity are all direct benefits of a healthier mind. Seeking the help, you deserve will benefit your life in more ways than one.
7. Professional perspective. We often hold back from sharing our true feelings and emotions from those we love in efforts to protect them. In the presence of a professional psychiatrist or psychotherapist, you can be free to say whatever you need to without fear of judgement. In this manner, we can explore perspectives we may never have otherwise allowed. You are safe within the therapy environment which is key to the healing process.
8. Hope for the future. With the appropriate support system in place, you can begin to make positive plans for the future. You will be liberated to build the life you want with the correct tools in hand to make it happen. This new sense of hope can in itself help to lift your mood and sense of personal capability. From here, every opportunity is open to you. Who knows what—or who—might be waiting for you just around the corner?
Our overall wellbeing relies upon maintaining a balanced frame of mind and developing coping mechanisms that can support us throughout the challenges that we face. When life becomes chaotic, it can be all too easy to allow mental health care to fall to the bottom of our priority list. However, this can ultimately cost us our happiness and our health if we don’t take positive action and seek the appropriate help in time.
There are many professionals ready and waiting to support you. In a very short period of time, you could access the help you need in order to be able to move on with your life in a positive ongoing direction. Whether you are new to therapy or someone returning to it as a possible option, there is always support available to suit your current circumstances and specific emotional needs.
You deserve to enjoy a life where you are free from trauma and the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Overcoming mental health issues is a journey rather than destination and it will take consistent time and effort. With the right professional guidance, you can achieve whatever you set your mind to; including achieving a happier, healthier future for yourself.